• Wednesday, June 6, 2012

    Our trip to New York


    Some of my friends and I have been talking about taking our daughters to New York. We each have two daughters that would be the right age to enjoy it.


     After being pushed off multiple times we finally chugged our way up to New York on Saturday. After looking at how much motels were we decided to just go up for the day. We thought it'd be fun to ride Am-trak up there. So bright and early on Saturday we met in Harrisburg to board.

    They had a miniature train set at the station which occupied the girls while we waited.


    It was so exciting and something I always wanted to do since I was a little girl. It was fun to experience this with the girls.

    The girls had their dolls along since we were planning on visiting the American Girl store.

    It was around a three hour train ride so the girls settled down and read or colored.

    Or played with their dolls.

    There were many neat things to see outside. The train stopped off at one horse towns like Mt Joy, (my home town) to big cities like Philadelphia. I remember when I lived on the farm in Mt Joy depending how the wind blew we could hear the train whistle. Back then I always thought it would be so neat to take the train somewhere. 
    Before we knew it we were there!
    The girls gathered all their things and got ready to hit the streets of New York.


    She looked like the height of New York fashion!


    Think you'll find those two missing front teeth in NY?


    I can't even begin to descibe to sights, sounds, and SMELLS that hit me. Honestly I would have loved to just sit down and watch all the people scurrying around. I always wonder what there stories are, where they're from, are they Christians? 


    It would have been fun to take a taxi or ride a horse or the bike but we would have been separated and I think we were scared of losing each other.



    The girl's were amazed by the skyscrapers.



    They said they would like to live on the highest floor! Hmm! Not me! After this day I know I ain't no city girl!

    *************
    So after walking many blocks and then deciding to take the bus the rest of the way we finally arrived at our destination: The Plaza Hotel.


    It was gorgeous! The girls thought it was "so fancy."


    We ate at The Palm Court in The Plaza. The girls were able to order off an Eloise inspired menu. We didn't know much about the character Eloise but it was neat that they had kid friendly items to order.






    Olivia made sure her "friend" didn't go hungry. By the way, yes my mom did make monkey hats for their dolls.

    They got complimentary Eloise cookies at the end of  their meal.

    *********
    After  learning some lessons on the way to The Plaza  (1. the bus does not take credit cards. 2. the blocks are long. 3. We are a long way from Lancaster, Berks , and Perry county)  we decided to purchase a metro card and take the subway to the American Girl Doll place.


    We happened to go past Times square. We took some pictures of the bewildered girls who I don't believe understood why were taking a picture here but whatever gets us closer to the doll place.



    Finally, the store the girls have anxiously been waiting for.
    We just have to cross one more street and we are there!



    The girls enjoyed looking at all the displays.






    I am so blessed to have such awesome friends. It is nice that they have daughters that are around the same age as mine. We had these same girls over for Madi's birthday party last November.


    Many hours later outside the store with our purchases.

    HMMM! What else do we want? We rested a little at the Rockefeller center.


    Tickets, please
    One of the girls told her mom later that this was her favorite part of the trip. The conductor was teasing the girls. He asked if their little friends, (the dolls) had tickets too. They thought it was funny when he threatened to throw them off the train.  

    Some people can't handle all the excitement. :) But seriously it was an exhausting day. I probably would have slept too but I drank an iced cappuccino before boarding so I was wide awake.

    Madi sleeping peacefully with her new look alike doll.


    Olivia slept very little on the way home so while all the other girls were sleeping I let her watch a movie.



    We enjoyed our day so much! I wouldn't want to live there but it was fun for one day! I loved being with my girls. On Sunday I was challenged in Sunday school that it's more important to build a relationship with your children then doing something with them. I totally agree with that but throwing a trip to New York in while building a relationship is fun too. I can tell our relationship is strengthened when I spend time alone with the girls without the constant distraction of Abbi and Preston. 


    **************
    I told the girls that I want to take some pictures of them outside with their dolls. I think this "photo shoot" could have gone on for a long time.

    Madi's doll has freckles and red hair.




    Olivia's doll has long red hair.
    The end.









    

    3 comments:

    1. Such an exciting,adventurous day!Im with you,a fun city to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.Years ago we went to the Philly Zoo on the train.Maybe someday I'll get to go to NYC with my daughters and granddaughters.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Uhhhh...you got one of me sleeping!?! Well.. alease I didn't have my mouth open! lol Next time I'll drink some coffee!! Ha Ha Just love this trip...love your pictures! Talayna was looking at this with me, and asked, wheres Abbi ??? Just amazed that she made the connection! :)
      Mary Lou

      ReplyDelete
    3. That looks like so much fun!! I know your girls won't forget that day! :)
      *like the one of Mary Lou sleeping ;)* I miss her!

      ReplyDelete